Valletta - Cinemas and Theatres



Savoy Cinema 1
Savoy Cinema 1
In 1947 four leading entrepreneurs of the time the Pace brothers leased 900 square meters of land in Kingsway (today Republic Street) Valletta with the intention to build two large cinemas. This after a large palace that was situated on the same site had been destroyed by the German Luftwaffe in a raid on 30th April 1941. The construction of the 'Lower Savoy' cinema started in 1949 and took two years to be completed to be inaugurated in October 1951, while the 'Upper Savoy' opened up two years later.   
Savoy Cinema 2
Savoy Cinema 2
For nearly 30 years The Savoy Cinemas were amongst the leading cinemas in Malta but attendance started experiencing a downward trend in the 1970s and so the company decided to diversify the business. In 1979 the Pace Brothers Ltd purchased the leased land on which 'The Savoy' was built and converted the Lower Savoy Cinema into a shopping arcade. The Upper Savoy Cinema continued to operate as a cinema until 1986 and was turned first into a hall for exhibitions and bingo but then in 1993 there was the extension of the Savoy Arcade.
The Colisuem
The Colisuem
One of the smaller cinemas in Valletta the Coliseum was situated in Zachary Street and has suffered the same fate as the other city centre cinemas in being gutted and converted into a shopping mall.
The Embassy Cinema
The Embassy Cinema
Situated in St. Lucia Street this cinema is still in operation today but the building was transformed into a shopping mall and an entertainment centre apart from a cinema complex spread out over seven floors.
Embassy Cinema in Valletta showing Ben Hur 1950s or 60s
Embassy Cinema in Valletta showing Ben Hur 1950s or 60s
Alhambra Cinematograph
Alhambra Cinematograph
This was located in the Auberge d’Auvergne on Republic Street (formerly Strada San Giorgio then Kingsway) which was destroyed during WWII and subsequently replaced by the Law Courts.  
Grand Cinematograph or Cinema Salinos
Grand Cinematograph or Cinema Salinos
It was found in Kingsway today Republic Street between the present-day Casino Maltese and Cafe’ Cordina in Valletta. In this photo it looks as if was taken during a particular celebration in Valletta and which coincidentally featured this no longer in existence cinema.